Staying active in the summer months
Summer means days at the pool, family picnics, baseball and other outdoor activities. Here are some tips for the warmer months:
- Hydrate! Drink plenty of water before, during and after physical activity to avoid dehydration. For low-calorie flavor, add slices of your favorite fruits such as melon, oranges, berries or even cucumber or mint to a pitcher of water and refrigerate for two hours.
- Sun Protection! Protect your family from the sun by wearing wide-brimmed hats and applying water-resistant sunscreen with at least SPF 15 every 2 hours.
- Heat Safety! Avoid intense activities between noon and 3 p.m. when the sun is at its strongest. Dress appropriately with lightweight; light colored and breathable fabrics and wear sunglasses to protect your eyes. Head indoors: when the heat gets unbearable.
Heart-Healthy Cookout Ideas
Warmer weather − break out the grill:
- Go fish! Oily fish like tuna and salmon have great nutritional benefits including omega-3 fatty acids. Rub a fillet with lemon juice and parsley or rosemary for enhanced flavor.
- Burgers: be sure to buy lean or extra lean beef, drain off the excess fat after cooking and remember that a serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards (3 oz).
- Veggie kabobs: load up skewers with mushrooms, peppers, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash or other veggies. Spray lightly with olive oil cooking spray and grill until slightly blackened.
Healthy Road Trip
- Make “rest breaks” active: pick a road stop or park and get out of the car to take a brisk 10-minute walk and move around. Not only will it burn off some energy, but it can also help the driver feel rejuvenated and more alert.
- Pack healthy snacks: finding healthier snacks at road stops can be difficult. Pack apples, oranges, grapes, raisins, whole grain fiber-rich crackers or another favorite healthy snack.
- Reach for water: sitting in the car for long periods of time can make it tempting to drink soda, which has extra calories and added sugar. Pack water, fat free or lowfat (1%) milk and small portions of 100% juice.
When was the last time you updated your home inventory? Oh, wait! You don’t have one? Contact Tricia Hokewater now via phone at 925-206-0103 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a new inventory or an update to your existing inventory.